Magento is a powerful, scalable, flexible, and user-friendly eCommerce system which gives merchants the opportunity to bring their products and services to the digital world. It is open source and easily customizable, making the Magento platform a great choice for business owners who want a cost effective way to launch an eCommerce website that is tailored to their needs.
Magento has many features, including (but not limited to):
- Client Accounts – allow customers to create their own account and store information such as preferred addresses, transaction history, and shopping cart
- Product Management – display product images and options such as inventory levels, product reviews, and a customer favorites list
- Search Technology and Category Management – fast search using Google SiteMap, and an option to filter products by category to make it easier for customers to find what they are looking for
- Payment Methods – Magento supports many external payment modules and payment processors via integration with its system, making it easy to accept payments with Magento
- International Support – multiple languages and currencies
- Mobile friendly – pre-integrated with responsive Mobile HTML5 and supports major mobile browser options
- Secure – the backend of Magento uses SSL security, as does the front end for order management, in addition to adhering to PCI compliance standards for customer data privacy
With the growth of eCommerce in Africa and worldwide, Magento has a variety of options to offer merchants looking to move into or expand their presence in the digital space.
Magento Commerce Cloud
Magento Commerce includes cloud hosting and deployment, support, business intelligence and sales acceleration tools as its integrated core out-of-the-box feature set. Because it is hosted in the cloud, costs associated with monitoring, maintaining, and hosting a solution in-house are eliminated. It also carries a small monthly fee, so costs are predictable and can be budgeted for. It is very customizable, allowing the platform to evolve along with the merchant business needs such as increased site traffic, and growth of multiple stores, brands, channels, or products.
Magento Business Intelligence Pro
Data analysis can be difficult to navigate and understand – many merchants don’t know where to begin on leveraging their database to understand their customer set and optimize their business accordingly. With Magento Business Intelligence Pro, merchants can control, manage, and visualize their data with easy to use report builders.
Magento Order Management
For merchants who have both online and in-store purchasing options, Magento Order Management helps create seamless customer experiences through the order fulfillment system. Features include:
- Pre-order, backorder, returns, and refunds
- Partial shipment and order splitting
- Ship-from-store and ship-to-store
- Buy online, pick up in-store
- Delivery carrier integration
- Global inventory management, including in-transit inventory
- Order details/status
- Order escalation
These and many other features help merchants become more efficient, increase sales, ensure seamless shopping experiences for customers, and reduce their TCO.
With over 3,500 extensions available, the Magento platform is seemingly endlessly customizable. And because the community is open source, extensions are regularly being developed, reviewed, and released. The out-of-the-box version of Magento will serve 90%+ of merchants very well, but occasionally, there are features that would be nice to have. The Extensions Marketplace makes it easy to add functionality to an eCommerce site.
Magento Open Source
The small and mid- to enterprise-sized business plans carry a cost for implementation and ongoing use. Magento Open Source is a free option for those who want to get started with the Magento eCommerce system.
Free, flexible, and open-source, Magento Open Source is great for merchants and developers. It is available to anyone who would like to download, install, and extend and offers:
- Integrated checkout, payment processing, and shipping
- Mobile optimized shopping for all major mobile browsers
- Catalog management
- Extended functionality via Marketplace (Extensions, mentioned above)
- Global selling
Payment processing for eCommerce is a vital component of the business, and Magento has this covered as well. Accepting payments with Magento is easy, with integrated payment processing and acceptance of a wide range of payment options such as debit, credit, and COD.
Magento is a powerful, flexible, scalable tool with offerings for a range of business sizes and needs. DPO is a registered PSP for Magento, and understands the platform itself as well as the ways it can meet the unique challenges of eCommerce in Africa, including eCommerce payment processing.